Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Girl's Camp "Under Construction!"

As a teenager, attending girl's camp was always one of the highlights of my summer. Escaping the blistering heat of the desert valley to spend a week in the beautiful pine trees and cool weather at Camp Lomia would be a highlight for any Arizona girl, but it was only a small part of it.

The incredible leaders at camp helped make memories that will last a life time! These wonderful leaders gave up the comforts of home to spend time in the outdoors camping with young women for a week. They were amazing leaders who taught us skills, shared their testimonies, made us laugh and helped us build character. I will forever be grateful for those leaders and their example of service. They have set the bar high and I think about them often as I am now a leader and have the daunting task of creating that same kind of experience for my girls, that I so fondly remember.

I have to be honest...I wasn't quite as excited to attend camp as a leader, as I was as a kid! But this is my 4th year at camp as a leader and by far, truly, the best year ever!! We had 19 awesome girls attending from our ward and 5 leaders. GB3 girls were the first to flag every morning, awarded the "cleanest kapers" award almost everyday, and sang the loudest at mealtime (hence we were first in line for almost every meal!) We had our own little cheer, ("GB3, Horses of the Sea!") that we would chant after every song that we sang; our own little hand signal (LOVE in sign language) that we would make as we chanted our little cheer; and our newest little beehive from Mongolia taught a few words in Mongolian, so we had our own little language. We definitely had a lot of GB3 pride! Allie got to go as one of my "leaders", and it was not only a blast to have her there, but she was also a huge help with the girls! Her enthusiasm was contagious and the girls loved listening to her "tragic dating stories" everynight! It was wonderful to have 3 of my daughters to share the week with at camp!

No comments: