Monday, October 6, 2008

Aunt Ginny's Funeral

I flew back to Utah to attend my Aunt Ginny's funeral last weekend. It was wonderful to gather with many of my dear Whiting cousins to honor and remember my sweet Aunt! Ginny suffered from a serious illness and high fever in her early childhood, that left her mentally handicapped throughout her life. As a child, I looked forward every summer to our visits to Grandma Whitings' to spend time with Aunt Ginny. We colored, did puzzles, walked to the corner store to buy candy, played in the park, swang in the swing on Grandma's porch, gathered eggs, picked corn in Grandpa's field, played with Ginny's dolls and sat on the front steps in front of Grandma's house and played tag. She loved all of her neices and nephews very much and we loved and adored her too. It was a wonderful tribute to Aunt Ginny to have so many of her neices and nephews come together and spend the day honoring and remembering her life!

My family at the lunch after the funeral.

My sweet sister, Susan and our cousin, Leslie Shephard from the Olson, my dad's side of the family. Leslie moved to Mapleton right after she got married and befriended Aunt Ginny because she was my mom's sister. She has been so kind to her all these years, so the Whiting cousins asked her to sing at Aunt Ginny's funeral. Leslie's sister, Margo Freestone, also came to the funeral. It was so sweet to have cousins there from both sides of the family!
Mom and Aunt Alma having a chat and catching up on their kids, grandkids and great grandkids!


No comments: