Monday, February 9, 2009

Congressman Tom McClintock speaks at Olympus Jr. High School!


Last Friday our Congressman Tom McClintock came to Olympus Jr. High to speak to the 8th graders. All the school board members were invited so I couldn't pass on the opportunity to meet one of our elected officials.

I got there about 15 minutes early along with a couple of fellow board members and the Superintendant and we were able to visit with Tom McClintock and his staff about school/education related issues before he spoke to the students. I thought he did a great job and it was fun to hear the students asking him questions. Many of the kids stayed after and got pictures with him or asked for his autograph. He was very accomodating and spent quite a bit of time with the students.

Then a guy came in with a big video camera and asked me and my fellow board member, Kristie, if he could film us with Congressman McClintock. So we chatted for about 15 minutes and he was very personable. We talked about Ashley applying to be a page this summer and what a great opportunity that would be and then I mentioned that Brett's uncle was Jason Chaffetz, another freshman congressman from Utah. He was so excited because he had just gone to dinner last week with Jason and Julie. He said Jason was one of the "up and coming young politicians" and that he was really going places. As he got ready to go, he told me to give his office a call when we come drop off Ashley in DC this summer and he would meet with me so we could have further discussion about the school/education items that our district are concerned with.

I was pretty impressed with the congressman and it was fun to meet him. Apparently, the video of the two of us talking ended up on one of the TV stations...pretty funny!

No comments: