Monday, April 25, 2011

This is what happens when you are the last child at home.

Over the past year and a half, since Ashley left for college, 
Brooke has been the last and only child at home.
After spending lots of quality time, this past week with Mom and Dad, 
vacationing, just the three of us together 24/7,
Brooke has decided that being an only child isn't such a bad gig.
If fact, she came to that realization one night,
 as we were eating dinner at a nice restaurant, for the third night in a row.
 After she finished her delicious meal, it was if a light went off in her head 
and she said, "Wow!  This is really sweet!  I feel so spoiled!  
Hanging out with you guys and being the last child does have it's perks!"
And she is right, she is spoiled...at least for now.
I mean, it's hard not to.  She is the only child that I can fuss over, dote upon
and pay attention to at home.  She gets to pick what we are having for dinner,
 text me and tell me what special treats to buy her at the store, 
have me help her with projects, ask me to drop off "forgotten" homework at school
 and pretty much, our schedule revolves around Brooke's schedule. 
I'm not complaining.  I love it! 
 And if any of the other kids were home,
 I know that Brooke would willingly share all this extra attention and love from Mom and Dad.
But along with all the "perks" of being the only child 
comes the responsibility of still being a child.  The only child. 
 Fortunately, being a child has never been a problem for Brooke. 
 I think in my mind, (and all of her siblings) Brooke will always be "Brookie" 
or "Brookalina" or "Brookers" or my personal favorite, "The Bear."  
She will always love pigs,  always shop at GapKids, and forever think that "sexy is the C word."
So, since this was the last year that we celebrated Easter with a kid at home,
 I was glad that the Easter bunny still paid us a visit.
Once again, Brooke acknowledged that there are a few advantages 
of being the last kid at home on Easter, such as:

1. The Easter bunny still comes to your house and hides Easter eggs, 
but you can take your time and leisurely "find" the eggs
 since you don't have anyone else running around, "looking" for the eggs. 
 I believe it was about 2 pm before Brooke finally found the last egg under the couch.

2. You don't have to share any of the Resees peanut butter Easter eggs with anyone but Dad.
  Don't worry, Mom wasn't left out.  She had her own stash of See's Milk Butterchews chocolates 
and she didn't have to share them with anyone. That's the advantage of being the Mom:)!

3. You get to keep all the money that you find hidden in the Easter eggs, 
which totaled about $12, mostly in quarters, nickels and dimes.
 But it is always good to have some spare change in your pocket. 
If you add in the $2 bill from Grandma, you have a grand total of $14.  Not too shabby.

4. Mom still has to take tons of Easter pictures, 
but you no longer have sisters in matching Easter dresses 
sharing the spotlight in the photo with you. 
Nor do you have a brother in a matching tie, suspenders or an argyle sweater.
  (Boy, do I miss those days when I could dress Tyler up in a matching Easter outfit.)
I've asked Brooke many times, if she would please stop growing up.
When she was little, I'd tell her, "I want you to stay just the way you are forever."
And she would answer and say, "I'll always be your little girl."
And she is right, she will always be my little baby!

2 comments:

Allie said...

Haha I loved this post. I can't wait until Brooke comes out here though! It's going to be so fun!!

Kimber said...

This is too cute!! Love her outfit too! Nice job writing mom!