Thursday, January 5, 2012

.brave.

This is me with my little sister, Mary Ann.
Let me tell you just a little bit about her.
She is one of the sweetest human beings I have ever met.
Truly sincere and kind hearted and completely without guile.
I have never heard her say anything negative, mean or unkind about anyone.  Ever. 
Now, I know that you are all asking yourselves, 
"How is this possible that you and Mary Ann are related?"
You are right.  I am really not like her at all.  
But when I'm around her, I try to be like her.  
A little kinder.  A little sweeter.  She makes me want to be a little bit better.
One of my favorite memories of Mary Ann, was when we were about 8 and 10 years old,
 and we got our tonsils taken out at the same time.
Together, we went to the hospital. 
(Back in the "olden days" you had to stay a couple of days in the hospital.)  
Both of us had our dad give us a priesthood blessing the night before the surgery.
I remember waking up from the anesthesia and looking over to her 
and was comforted knowing that she was in the room with me. 
And of course, I remember laying on the couch together, 
recovering from the surgery and sucking on popsicles for days together.
But the thing I remember most was that even though she was my little sister,
 she was much braver than I was.
Well, here we are almost 40 years later, and tomorrow morning,
once again, we will be in a hospital together.
But this time, she is the only one having surgery.
Hopefully, this time, I can be the one that will bring her some comfort, help ease the pain,
 and maybe, just maybe, I can be the one that is just a little bit braver.
And in the meantime, I get to hang out with these two adorable little girls all week long.
Go ahead!  Be jealous!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Aah! Mommy. This made me tear up. You are the best. Send me lots of pictures! Love those girls. Miss you!

Kimber said...

So sweet! Wishing Mary all the best!! And mom, you're actually way nicer than this sounds :) Have fun with those girls!! They're so adorable!!

deb said...

this was such a sweet post Debbie. I too had tears in my eyes... your sister will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Hope your sister is recovering well! Tears in mine too!